Engineering Manager I - APM Onboarding
APM is one of Datadog’s premier products and also one of the most difficult to enable for our customers. Though our business is growing at a healthy clip, that growth is coming despite friction in getting customers up and running. We believe streamlining the onboarding experience and taking it from hours to minutes is one of APM’s biggest opportunities to accelerate growth.
The APM Onboarding team is a fast paced, cross-functional, and highly collaborative product team that was bootstrapped to solve this problem. As the team’s manager, you’ll partner with your Product and Design counterparts and work with Engineering teams across Datadog to make the technical and UX changes needed to achieve the team's goals. You’ll re-examine everything from how services get instrumented to service configuration, the way APM integrates with the Datadog Agent, managed experiences, library versioning, and the APM UX in the Datadog app. You’ll be responsible for the remote instrumentation and configuration of customer services, our instrumentation injection logic, service discovery, platform support, interactive setup guides, and whatever else needs to be built as part of your mission. And you’ll partner with other product teams in the APM suite and beyond, like Serverless and Profiling, to improve the onboarding experience in those spaces as well.
We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who cares as much about product experience and business value as you do about technical excellence. You must be customer driven and outcome oriented. You should be excited by the prospect of getting feedback directly from customers to help refine your vision. This is a high impact and high visibility role that will help shape the future of Datadog APM.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of Engineers and work with cross-functional partners to define and deliver industry leading time-to-value for APM and observability tooling
- Identify missing skill sets and higher or partner internally to close the gaps
- Own the product outcome, from the quality of implementation to the quality of the user experience
- Collaborate with teams across APM and Datadog to refine or build whatever technology is needed to achieve your north star
- Leverage analytics data to understand what the opportunities are and where to focus next
- Keep up to date with the cutting edge of observability instrumentation in industry to ensure Datadog remains a leader in the category
Who you are
- An experienced Engineering Manager with a track record of shipping
- Deep experience working on or with observability tooling
- Customer focused and thinks in terms of experiences, not features
- Highly collaborative
- An ability pivot from high level product narratives to highly technical implementation details (and articulate how one impacts the other)
- Possesses one or more of: systems programming experience, observability tooling experience, experience shipping client side software, deep kubernetes experience
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That's okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Continuous professional development, product training, and career pathing
- Intradepartmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
- Access to Inclusion Talks, our Internal panel discussions
- Free, global mental health benefits for employees and dependents age 6+
- Competitive global benefits
The reasonably estimated salary for this role at Datadog ranges from $187,000 to $240,000, plus a competitive equity package, and may include variable compensation. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. In addition, Datadog offers a wide range of best in class, comprehensive and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, parental planning, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan and match, paid time off, fitness reimbursements, and a discounted employee stock purchase plan.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Here are our Candidate Legal Notices for your reference.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.