Software Engineer - Historical Metrics Query
We're on a mission to build the best observability platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Historical Metrics Query-IO team operates the long term storage tier of the metrics platform, holding petabytes of metrics data for over a year for our customers. The team manages the processing, encoding, indexing and storage of all metrics timeseries data and ensures that metrics are retrievable by the query engine. Each day we process trillions of data points and millions of queries and are always working to make our storage cheaper, ingestion faster, and query engine more scalable and reliable.
What You’ll Do
- Help design, build and operate the next generation ingestion and storage engine for historical metrics. We’re rebuilding the platform from the ground up to serve metrics data from the warm tier within minutes of ingestion instead of hours
- Work closely with downstream teams operating query execution to make storage more efficient while keeping queries fast and reliable
- Occasionally be on call for your team’s services, responding to any alerts we get to ensure we’re always up and operational for our customers
- Work with engineers on other teams and product managers to build features that meet our customers needs and work well across the metrics platform
Who You Are
- You have been building applications for 2+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a technical field or have equivalent experience
- You have experience in one or more programming languages such as Go, Python, Java, Rust, or C/C++
- You have experience building and shipping code to production environments
- You value code simplicity and performance
- You can design architectures to solve problems at high scale
- You want to work in a fast, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That's okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth
- Competitive global benefits
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.#LI-ER1
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Here are our Candidate Legal Notices for your reference.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.