Manager I, Engineering - Capacity Management
Datadog runs on an extremely complex and large global cloud footprint. Our infrastructure spans regions and cloud providers. At our scale, scaling to growth in traffic requires us to manage our cloud capacity using analytics and automation.
The capacity management function is responsible for economically efficient management of infrastructure capacity for Datadog. This team ensures that we have capacity needed for proactive growth of the entire company across regions and cloud providers. And this team ensures that this is done in the most cost-efficient way.
This team will solve the hard problems of modeling capacity for a very complex multi-cloud, multi-region infrastructure and build automation to systematically manage capacity for Datadog.
We are looking for an ambitious leader to help orient and manage a business critical engineering team. In this role, you will be responsible for effective functioning of an internet-scale, complex cloud infrastructure that supports a fast-moving agile business.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious leader comfortable acting as a trusted advisor to software engineers, infrastructure managers, executive and org leadership.
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture - the relationships and collaboration it builds and the creativity it brings to the table. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our Datadogs can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and cultivate a team of engineers with a diverse skill-set, including performance management and career development.
- Hold responsibility for the technical output of your team in terms of quality and quantity.
- Identify the highest impact initiatives and ensure that the team is focused on delivering those on clear timelines.
- Lead your team’s roadmap by defining inspiring objectives and breaking them down into well-defined key results.
- Contribute to the team’s technical direction and architectural decisions.
- Stay in touch with your team’s code, and roll up your sleeves when needed to unblock your team by writing code or troubleshooting issues.
Who You Are:
- You have managed one or more teams of software engineers delivering large-scale infrastructure projects.
- You bring a product mindset to infrastructure engineering, comfortable with building and growing agile teams, and rapidly iterating to deliver results.
- You thrive in ambiguity and enjoy tackling complex problems at scale.
- You have demonstrated backend programming experience (e.g. C++, Go, Rust) and have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at scale.
- You have a solid understanding of cloud infrastructure, kubernetes and cloud provider API.s
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a Computer Science, Engineering or related scientific field or equivalent professional experience.
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We know not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That’s okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your experience, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- Product training to develop an in-depth understanding of our product and space
- Continuous career development and pathing opportunities for internal mobility
- Intradepartmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan
- Free global mental health benefit through Spring Health
- Generous global benefits
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.