Staff Software Engineer (Backend) - APM Distributed Traces
The APM Distributed Tracing organization is responsible for the high volume pipeline that processes all of the Application Performance Monitoring data sent by our customers and provides a web interface for interacting with the resulting traces. This is a unique opportunity to build new customer experiences from the tracers that generate tracing data to the underlying storage, from the processing pipeline to the various products built on top of the pipeline. In this role, you will partner with senior technical leaders to define strategic initiatives, implement critical code paths to keep the execution blocked, and drive technical excellence for the organization's activities.
At Datadog, we place value in our office culture - the relationships and collaboration it builds and the creativity it brings to the table. We operate as a hybrid workplace to ensure our Datadogs can create a work-life harmony that best fits them.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the design, development and deployment of scalable tools and infrastructure for new and existing distributed, high-throughput, real-time systems
- Shape and define the technical strategy in alignment with the company’s leadership
- Collaborate with our most senior engineers, product managers, and external stakeholders to plan, prioritize, and design the continued development of our platform
- Drive the team to reach operational and reliability excellence in the face of hyper growth and continued platform development
- Plan the most important projects to work on next while striking a delicate balance between investment in reliability/performance, continued development of the platform, and long-term R&D
- Provide technical leadership across the APM organization
Who You Are:
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning or related scientific field or equivalent experience
- You are a software engineer at heart with 10+ years of professional experience in systems engineering and/or distributed systems
- You have significant back end programming experienced and have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale
- You have led technical initiatives in an environment where performance, reliability, and accuracy are paramount and where “feature development” and roadmaps are measured in months and quarters, not days and weeks
- You have a product oriented mindset and care deeply about the customer and the customer experience
Datadog values people from all walks of life. We understand not everyone will meet all the above qualifications on day one. That's okay. If you’re passionate about technology and want to grow your skills, we encourage you to apply.
Benefits and Growth:
- New hire stock equity (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Continuous professional development, product training, and career pathing
- Intradepartmental mentor and buddy program for in-house networking
- An inclusive company culture, ability to join our Community Guilds (Datadog employee resource groups)
- Access to Inclusion Talks, our internal panel discussions
- Free, global mental health benefits for employees and dependents age 6+
- Competitive global benefits
Benefits and Growth listed above may vary based on the country of your employment and the nature of your employment with Datadog.
Datadog (NASDAQ: DDOG) is a global SaaS business, delivering a rare combination of growth and profitability. We are on a mission to break down silos and solve complexity in the cloud age by enabling digital transformation, cloud migration, and infrastructure monitoring of our customers’ entire technology stacks. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog is used by organizations of all sizes across a wide range of industries. Together, we champion professional development, diversity of thought, innovation, and work excellence to empower continuous growth. Join the pack and become part of a collaborative, pragmatic, and thoughtful people-first community where we solve tough problems, take smart risks, and celebrate one another. Learn more about #DatadogLife on Instagram, LinkedIn and Datadog Learning Center.
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.